In 1958 Hammond teacher Charles G. "Jim" Garrett met with the treasurer/manager of the Gary School Employees Federal Credit Union to allow Hammond school employees to join the credit union, with the understanding that after two years, the Hammond Schools members would form their own credit union. The new Hammond School Employees Federal Credit Union was granted a charter by the National Credit Union Administration in 1961, with Jim Garrett as the first Treasurer and Paul Wilkinson as Board Chairman.
The credit union’s first office was located in the basement of Hammond High School, in an alcove of the boiler room across from the cafeteria, and opened for business on July 5, 1962. Bernadette “Bernie” Sizemore was the first HSEFCU employee. By November of that year, the credit union had over 300 members.
The credit union first changed location from Hammond High to Wilson Elementary School before moving into the 7144 Kennedy Avenue location, completed in 1973. The credit union grew through charter expansion and mergers and by 1975, had over 3,600 members and $2.2 million in assets. In 1984, the HSEFCU changed its name to REGIONAL.
REGIONAL merged with Portage School Employees Federal Credit Union in 1985, and the property at 389 West US Highway 6 was purchased in 1987, with the first Student Credit Union opening at Portage High School in 1990. In 2005, REGIONAL was granted a community charter, which expanded our field of potential members to include Porter County and the northern half of Lake. In 2008 our third office was opened at 2801 Boilermaker Court in Valparaiso, and in 2018 REGIONAL was granted a further charter expansion to include all of Lake County.